2007 2000v Console

AntonRx

I am in the process of getting a new Fusion unit for audio and 9" touchscreen Garmin. I have seen how people use an acrylic panel /starboard to put over the old existing  console face. I would like to do this with black acrylic. I've found places online that will custom cut panels but only in square shapes. As you all know, our console tapers in slightly towards the top where the windshield recess is at. I'd like to follow that line. Is there anyone that has done this or knows where to get it done online?

It is not hard to cut acrylic.  It should have contact paper on each side. A table saw makes it easier but a good circular will work. If using a jig saw use a fine tooth blade. Go slow and support the acrylic at all times. If the cut off piece dangles down it may cause it to crack.

When drilling holes always use a pilot hole and step up diameter in incriments 

Here is pictures of my helm that I am working on. Still a little to do but it is fishable.

20191005_183928.jpg

20191005_183952.jpg

A router works well. You can buy router bits made to cut acrylic and other  plastics.  If you make a pattern out of plywood the you can use a router bit made with a bearing to follow the pattern. 

For cutting out the inside for the display the pattern they provide tells you the size of the hole saw to get the proper radius. 

After cutting and light sanding the edges you can take a heat gun and go over the edges to make them smooth as glass. I would do a little practice on the cutoff piece first and start with low heat, also leave the protective film on the acrylic the entire time you are working with it. 

Andy

One if the downfalls of ordering online sheet goods is the shipping. 

Often a good sign shop will have cut offs that will work and if you need a full sheet they will order it for you and put it with theirs for shipping. 

My console is a work in progress.

Next is to change the switch  panel from rockers to toggles.  I don't like two way switches such that  one function is  off to get another  to be on. One function  one switch.