3 Cylinder 115, 140 & 150 from E-Tec

MuddyBottomBluz

Did not know if some of you were aware of this or not but they have a new outboard line out, all the way up to 150 H.P. that are only 3 cylinders. Click on the tabs for the different models of H.P. and see the spec's. I know many are brand loyal here but i figured I would just pass it along.

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/e-tec-g2/e-tec-g2-full-specs.html#tab=0

Not sure why and I certainly can not justify it but the only people I know that love ETechs are guides that get them for free or at a huge discount.  I’m partial to Mercury’s but I’m more partial to saving money so I buy used boats. My last two boats have been used MBC products so Yamahas it is... for now. 

Yeah, but John, the Ficht came out in 98/99 until 2003/4 and OMC went under because they rushed it to market and then Bombardier came in and used the technology and took what was actually good technology and enhanced it in 2005. Granted there were some issues along the way, same ones other manufacturers faced like exhaust tubes, etc. There are later gen 1 E-tecs with original powerheads with 3,000 hours on them, tour boat in Everglades National Park and camera boats in the keys to name the ones I know. 

The only issue I see is the displacement remained the same on all the 3 cylinder engines which means it's all in the programming  of the EMM and possibly injectors. With new technology you never buy the first two years of production, whether it is a car, boat engine, whatever.

I have a friend with a 1720 Action Craft that just took a ETec 115 HO off and put on the new E Tec 3 cyl 140 and it is different as night and day compared to the 115.  Previously running 43 mph and now runs 52 and jumps out of the hole by comparison He is still playing with props....but he is getting good mpg and performance with the new 3 cyl 140. I asked why he took off a three year old motor with three years of warranty remaining....he said he had talked to CA Richardson about the performance and weight....and it was a simple decision. 

He was a Yamaha / Maverick owner for years and when it got time for a new boat....he decided not to use Yamaha because of previous issues , he was at boat show in Florida and decided to give Action Craft a try and it already had a Evinrude hanging on it....he said the deal was good...so he tried it.....

The same dealer gave him $8000 trade allowance 3 years later for the 115 to the new 140.