Bilge pump changeout in 2004 2200 Tournament

hooked

My bilge pump works with switch but not with the automatic float. I ***ume the float is a part of the pump. (Can barely see the pump) I can just reach it thru the pie hole. Should I just try to pop it out of the mounting bracket? I didn't really feel any tabs to release it and I don't want to break the mount in case I can get the exact replacement. Any tips from anyone that makes this job easier?

a lot of guys replace the pie hole with a 11x17 hatch before doing the job. there may be tabs to push in or pull out to release pump from bracket. what size and make is the pump. you can then look it up to see how to disconnect the pump. more than likely a rule or sahara. tis not any easy job working in that space, brother just had his done.

Power for the automatic function is fed directly from the battery. Connection is at the battery switch and goes thru a small circuit breaker, (a rubber covered stand alone unit near the battery switch).

The breaker has a very small reset button and usually can be reset.

It is always good to replace the pump anyway if it has a few years on it.

The reach down into the bilge is do-able but not easy.

My boat is a few years older than yours and I had to replace my bilge pump when it failed. Mine was the rectangular kind by Rule (1100 gph model) that snaps into a strainer basket that is screwed down to a piece of starboard that is affixed to the bottom of the boat. The pump snaps into the basket and is held in place by 2 plastic tabs - one on each side.

Here's the trouble. Rule changed that model a few years ago and the new pump has a different basket than the old one. So on mine at least, I had to remove the old basket held down by 4 screws and screw the new basket down blind. The only good news is that the screw holes are in the same configuration on both baskets.

I was able to do it without replacing the pie hole but lots of cussing was involved. The job will be easier if you replace the pie hole. If you choose to do it like I did, get 3 toothpicks and use these to align the screw holes and the basket. You can then screw a screw down, and you can get a second screw started easier by then removing a toothpick. Good luck.

The 2200 TE cannot have the access cover changed like the 2200v

The original pump as stated is no longer made so the basket will need to be changed.

sometimes removing the pump from the strainer and cleaning the automatic switch will buy some time but when you look at the age replacing it is the safest thing to do.

It is all pretty much a feel thing . Pinch the tabs on the side and the pump will come off or if you just get one you can rotate and wiggle it loose. The basket is screwed to a pvc board bonded to the hull. Use a small screw gun or cordless drill to remove the screws. When placing new basket be sure you are going into the pvc board and not the hull bottom.

If your knuckles are not bloody when you get done you can brag about being the first.

Thank you. I found it. It was indeed an inline fuse near the battery switch. Even though it was covered and full of dielectric grease, the stakes on the fuse itself and the holder finally got enough corrosion to go bad. When I wiggle the fuse in the holder the pump will activate. Off to get a new fuse holder. I'm 63 so I will leave the pump change out (its old) to one of my sons when they come down to visit. Windy day project. Better their knuckles than mine! Thanks to everyone for their help. I've owned this boat since new and I still love it.

• 3 weeks later...

localangler,

With yours being a TE that compartment has a

lot of exposure to salt corrosion due to the livewell pumps and that it is open to the bilge area. The corrosion effect makes changing breaker to a new one practical as a matter of course.

You could change to a fuse in a water resistant housing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to change mine. It was a huge PITA but I was able to do it without cutting any access. I took pictures like this one to help get me straight. The holes on the old and new basket style line up perfectly. I ended up doing the job by touch alone. Taped the screws to the screw driver because I could only get one hand far enough in there to work it.

1452041792-pic1.jpg.8ec986a3d8234f7be094

• 1 year later...

The only access I have is through the rear access hatch below the motor on top of the transom...the pump is underneath 3 straight bronze thru-hull fittings. My fingers barely reach the top of the pump with my shoulder as far in as I can fit... I bought the same pump to replace it with so I can use the same mounting holes

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Bluewater report said:

Hey guys, I’m looking to replace my bulge pump. Can anyone tell me the model number of the pump that will best screw into the existing holes. I have a 2005 2200v.

thanks

My 2005 2000V had the old style Rule 1100 pump.  You should be able to see it with a flash light.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived