26 HPS chirp thru hull transducer

GSD

I’m having a 26 HPS rigged with Garmin and would like input on the groups preferred mdf display and transducer. Not a lot of info that I can find. Inshore and offshore to 200’ most of the time. The transducer seems to be the hardest for me to identify.

Thanks, Scott

MFD opinions will run the gamit.... I say get into a store that has ones you are interested and act like you are on the boat with it... try to adjust setting like sensitivity, color, palette and a bunch more I cant think of right now, but the point is see which units interface makes sense to you.  As far as the ducer goes the different models vary in power output and frequency.... the higher the frequency the better the detail but it also narrows the sonar cone (the amount of bottom it is seeing) so a low freq will not be great for detail but itll have the largest sonar cone and do the best job of marking fish in the water column.  If you are looking to find bottom structure then high freq is best.... personally I think the high is the way to go as CHIRP ducers scan a wide range so the high will run on 130 to 210khz and your unit will allow you to set it to any frequency in its range so its nice to be able to tune your unit and see what gives you the best results or just run it on auto which will scan the entire range simultaneously.  So take your pick... airmar B150, B75 or B175 in low, med or high and some are available in a wide series.  I ended up with a B150M on my boat... as at the time the B75H did not have a connector for my unit and wiring one in looked like a nightmare.  They have mix and macth cable systems now so thats no longer an issue... next boat im going with B175H.  Some screen shots below from mine which shows even a med freq marks fish and is decent on detail.shot012.png.14ae3fc335e17e982318237403970cc5.pngshot001A.png.0d7e8e325c123a8532d1ac972827a4ee.png

Thanks for the input. I think the B175m is what I would like for the thru hull, I like how yours reads fish. The problem I am having is the 26 HPS is a step hull so if I want clearvu view and side scan (I do) I  would need a second Tm mount transducer for slow speed use. I’m interested  in how other 26 owners solved the problem and what they installed.

Not sure about Garmin but Simrad NSS series have two transducer ports for this very reason. Thru hull in front of the step and structure, side, down, etc... on the transom.

Others have had luck with Garmin transom mount transducers on 2500s (I researched and asked other forum members like Skip and Capt Davis) but I personally have had no luck with a Simrad Totalscan mounted on the transom of my 2500. I’ll be going the two transducer route when I upgrade to a NSS. 

GSD- Well yeah youd need to mount the sidescan ducer on the transom somewhere... mine is setup the same way even though its not a stepped hull (B150  mounted under hull several feet forward of transom LSS2 mounted on strbd side transom.  Alot of people mount the in the pocket of the hull so its completely outta the water when on plane so yea input from stepped hul owners required to give you an idea where they work best

I purchased a Humminbird Solix 15 with down and sidescan.  It comes with a transducer that mounts on the back.  I mounted mine directly under the jack plate and it works very well.  It's in the water at slow speed but not on the keel so it's protected from backing into the ground in shallow water.  I put a B75M in the hull for reading high speed depth.  It's a good system

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GSD, 

Just curious to see what transducer you went with, where you mounted it on your 2600, and how you like it.

I also use Garmin, but I went with a shoot through transducer in mine, and, notwithstanding that the Garmin website says it is supposed to work on cored hulls, it really doesn't work well at all...

Probably gonna bite the bullet and put in a thru hull (which I wanted to avoid since I really dislike making holes in the hull) ...  so if you (or anyone) can post a picture of where/how the thru hull transducer is mount on the 2600 I'd appreciate it. 

thanks!

• 8 months later...

I’ve never seen thru hulls mounted on step hulled boats behind the steps, I have no knowledge the 2600 in particular but I’d bet it’s not gonna work very well, if at all, while on plane. There should be a spot in front of the step where there’s no coring material that is meant for a thru hull transducer. 

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up putting the B175M in front of the steps under the fuel tank. It was a major pain but I got it done. I did have to make a tool to tighten the transducer nut. The transducer works awesome! But it is not a job for the faint of heart...or anyone with short arms...lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is great info- im trying to have my dealer install one but want to make sure they have the exact location to install in front of the step.  They are concerned it will hit the bunk on the trailer at the location they are suggesting.  

Does anyone have any pics they can share of their install on a trailer?  I obviously only have one shot at this and don't want to botch it up. 

Thanks.