pondfisher

TB Spanish Macks on fly

1 hour ago, DavisIslander said:

How many cutoffs?  I'd imagine you have a heavier leader.  I may just break out my 8-wt and give them a shot!  Thanks for the info.

Tight Lines!

LOTS of breakoffs because I was too lazy to tie on a piece of wire or heavier mono. Went through way too many flies. For my next trip, I have two rigs with light, tieable leader ready to rock in order to avoid breakoffs.  With the wire, you get fewer eats than a piece of heavier mono or floro but your casts turn over better with the light wire. For these fish, an 8 wt. is way overgunned. I'm using a 5 and 6 wt. for these fish since they're schoolie macks and not as large as others.

Good luck. They're THICK out there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pondfisher said:

LOTS of breakoffs because I was too lazy to tie on a piece of wire or heavier mono. Went through way too many flies. For my next trip, I have two rigs with light, tieable leader ready to rock in order to avoid breakoffs.  With the wire, you get fewer eats than a piece of heavier mono or floro but your casts turn over better with the light wire. For these fish, an 8 wt. is way overgunned. I'm using a 5 and 6 wt. for these fish since they're schoolie macks and not as large as others.

Good luck. They're THICK out there.

Yeah, my 8wt is too big, definitely!  I can just imagine a 5 or 6 wt with these choppers!  Sounds like a blast!

On 10/24/2019 at 10:56 PM, Capt. Troy said:

You better look in the boats for sale section. 21 MA with your name on it.

I'm in the middle of buying a house. Not good timing - for me. Maybe we can just swap? ;)

• Like 1