Talon 8' on Redfisher 18

YankeeRedfisher

I have older Talon on older RF18. I also fish a 20ft Scout with new PowerPole.

Regarding Talon: the only "trouble" issue had was my failure to freshwater flush. After a year salt build up stopped full extension. Dealer took apart, cleaned...now I flush & no issues

Mounted on transom (with bracket to extend past tabs). Wind will spin the boat putting transom into wind (both systems). That can stink in rough wind driven conditions. Wish I had kept my StickIt to use on bow to really hold a position.

It's quiet and fast. I think faster than PP, but recently using PP it seemed quieter, especially hitting rocky bottom. The Talon will "crunch" trying to set, the PP will bounce. Both scare fish in skinny water

I never use an anchor anymore...in deeper water I use IPilot "anchor lock"

If I had to do it again, YES I would buy another Talon.

(Note: since most on this Board use PP and always praise PP customer service, I have never had to call Talon customer service so can't comment good or bad)

Thanks for the inputs.I've mulled over what you said relative to operating and spin around. Got that solved as I have both an Ipilot and a Stickit.

Got a good price on Amazon for the NEW 10 ft that deploys in 3 stages.$1606.00

Looking forward to a good winter project in my barn up here in MD. Will sea trial it in March in Matlacha fl!! :content: :content:

Also check out the 12 footers in you fish in some deeper water. I have dual 12 foot talons and love them. I actually prefer them over powerpole, but that doesnt mean the powerpole is a bad product, it isnt.

You may also want to look into the tilt bracket for the talon if you have low clearance anywhere. I can fold my talons down on the back deck. I also fold them down and fully extend them to rinse after saltwater, and will spray crc on them every once and a while to keep them quiet as they will squeak a little if lacking a little lubrication.

I also had the talon brackets anodized black to match the rest of the boat (3rd photo). It only costs 100$ total for dual brackets (6 pieces)

20150913_180636_zpsxmmodo26.jpg20150911_191058_zpslnieilyc.jpg20150822_144454_zps1bqz1kcq.jpg

10 foot blade/8 foot blade or pro series vs 12 foot talon.

12 Foot talon is:

Quicker to deploy

Quieter

Deeper

Easier to use when docking

Soft bottom and rough water mode

No pumps so extra storage

Shorter height when not deployed (Especially the new 8 foot talon coming out)

Built in wave absorption while powerpole you have to buy the wave pack separate

Power pole:

Amazing customer service

9 lbs lighter (10 foot blade)

Lots of accessories

Talon negatives:

They will make a little squeak on the 2nd stage of deployment, to get rid of this i just spray a little 656 on them every 10 trips or so and they are dead silent

Powerpole negative:

More flex in spike

Hydraulic pump takes storage

Thats really about it. I would not hesitate to own either product. They are both great. Just my preference for my style of fishing

A friend who said i was nuts for getting talons now wants them after fishing with me (He has dual 8 foot pro series 2). If the talons stay reliable, then i will continue to really like them

I think talon scared some people off with the original model, but this new design is a very good one. A friend has dual 10 footers and he really likes them, no issues

have to check it out thanks.

mentioned earlier I have a chance to buy a almost 2 year old 8' pro series II pp depending on shipping cost. sight unseen. just received photos, looks almost new. noticed however it is the one called hybrid, out for a short time only. hybrid because they used the sig. series mounting style hardware (U shape bracket), not the arm style with the flat mounting plate you see today. this was due to a change in manufactures at the time. it is also being used on a guide boat rather than a weekend angler so seeing a lot more use I ***ume. the gentlemen selling it seem like a standup guy but I am being told by others that I am paying too much. what are your feeling on what it should go for. do not want to offend the seller at all or put you guys on the spot as he is a member of this forum. if you care not to give suggestions on price I fully understand 100%.

Archived