Pathfinder Porpoising Issues

Hello Everyone,

My brother and I recently purchased a 2000 Pathfinder 1806 with a 2018 140HP Suzuki 4stk engine. We absolutely love it, but we've encountered some major porpoising issues (we understand it may be due to the engine weight). Our trim tabs do not work, and i know that is a huge part of it. We sometimes ease the degree of porpoising by trimming the engine at different speeds, but we're really looking for more of a permanent fix to this issue. It's a pain bouncing up and down when we're out on a flat clam day. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

Not to state the obvious but fix the tabs first. after that consider weight distribution as in putting batteries in the console if they are not already there. After that research some props that will help lift the boat. 

Thanks for the response. Yea, I didn't mean to sound unaware- I should have also mentioned that we were told there could be cheaper solutions, as the trim tabs could be pretty pricey. But if that is absolutely necessary then we have no problem doing so... was just wondering if there were any other cheaper options. Thanks. 

ohh, you want the cheapest solution? fill the bow hatch with weight. Again i am not being a smart ***. it will work and for free. 

you will love the boat with tabs and not just for this issue. Most people that install tabs wish they would have done it long before. Most people with tabs will likely not own a boat without tabs afterward. 

• Like 1

There are a few members here, myself included, who have had the same porpoising issues, and fixed the problem by installing one of these:

https://bobsmachine.com/product/true-tracker-stabilizer-plate-90-hp/

Even if your boat doesn't porpoise, this stabilizer plate will improve hole-shot, ride, tracking in turns, and the ability to stay on plane at lower rpm.  Hope this helps.

On 9/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, HoneyB said:

ohh, you want the cheapest solution? fill the bow hatch with weight. Again i am not being a smart ***. it will work and for free. 

you will love the boat with tabs and not just for this issue. Most people that install tabs wish they would have done it long before. Most people with tabs will likely not own a boat without tabs afterward. 

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the feedback! And I did not take it that way at all.

Honestly i think we may go with the trim tabs. Electric ones seem fairly easy to install and shouldn't cost too much (I hope!). 

On 9/13/2019 at 3:44 PM, geeviam said:

There are a few members here, myself included, who have had the same porpoising issues, and fixed the problem by installing one of these:

https://bobsmachine.com/product/true-tracker-stabilizer-plate-90-hp/

Even if your boat doesn't porpoise, this stabilizer plate will improve hole-shot, ride, tracking in turns, and the ability to stay on plane at lower rpm.  Hope this helps.

This is great, thank you so much! I think we may try one of these before going for some trim tabs. Does this essentially do the same thing trim tabs would do? 

3 hours ago, Capt_Rob said:

This is great, thank you so much! I think we may try one of these before going for some trim tabs. Does this essentially do the same thing trim tabs would do? 

Not exactly the same thing trim tabs do, but yes it provides stern lift like trim tabs, and from the furthest point aft on your boat - so it tames down the porpoising, and makes your boat lift up on plane without as much bow rise.  It also comes down off plane without the stern dropping as much, and water splashing up over the transom.

The Bob's True Tracker plate is a great addition to having trim tabs, but I would not have it instead of trim tabs.  You need both, for the best results.