Spinning or Baitcaster

flatsdoctor

I don't recall seeing this topic before 

I wondered what everyone thinks.

Why one or the other?

Do you switch from one to another or just stick with only one?

More than 90% of my fishing has been on light spinning tackle, and was considering resurrecting some old (but almost new) baitcasting tackle

Your comments will help me

I use both.  The lure/bait plays a factor to which one is being used , and also what the targeted species. I like using my baitcasters more, but I'll only use artificials. I find I get less hand fatigue using the baitcaster. I only use high speed baitcasters... 7:1 and 8:1.  I'll use spinning gear for both live bait and artificial.  If my hands get fatigued using one style, I pick up the other.

I sold the last of my baitcasters about 15 years ago because I didn't use them very often after braid became prominent. Casting accuracy between spin & baitcaster for me always seemed the same on artis but I could go either way when bouncing bigger baits on the bottom. Braid has made lure chucking on spin a no-brainer; I rarely ever get an angler error knot due to spun up line and I'm throwing artis 95% of the time. 

• Like 2

Mixture of both for me as well.  Im suprised at how many are still using them based on the responses in this thread.... most people getting away from them as they do take time to learn and master.  IMO baticaster beats spinner in every category except for throwing the really light stuff into a wind.  Bait casters have more power, better ergonomics etc.  As already mentioned braid has brought a whole new complexity to using them and even myself moved away from them for certain uses whereas back when mono was king all I ran was baitcasters

• Like 1

Blondes, Brunettes and Red Heads...... everybody has a choice, same as fishing reels, I say go with the one you enjoy. Or have a little bit of each. 🎣😎🤪

I use Calcutta 400’s baitcasters on 8 ft Lamiglass rods for fishing the beaches for Tripletail and Tarpon. 

I use Abu Garcia Revo Inshore Low profile baitcaster on 7 ft Falcon rod for Zara Spooks, Mirror Lures, etc for trout and redfish .

I use Shimano 2500 or 3000  Stradic spinners on 6 1/2 ft Falcon or TFO Rods for 1/8 oz jig heads with Z Man or DOA plastics or Ned Rigs for trout, flounder and redfish.

• Like 1

I’ve had really good success using the Abu Garcia “ Inshore” REVO series...for throwing top water baits and crank baits such as Mirror Lures.....which is a low profile reel. I use FINS braid in 12 lb. test with these and a short fluorocarbon leader.

Being compared to a Shimano Calcutta 200 or 250 or 400....which are round reels. The Calcutta’s are very very good quality reels and I do use them for heavier fishing such as Tripletail, Tarpon, Snook, etc.... 

18 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Related to this:  what does everyone think is the "easiest" bait casting reel to use? 

Hands down no contest the shimano digital control ones such as the Curado DC..... has a micro cpu that analyzes the cast (@ 1000 times a second) and applies braking forces to compensate and prevent any backlash.  They used to be stupid expensive when they 1st came out now they are reasonable.

As for non DC models I think the easiest to tune in are the ones with magnetic control... Daiwa Lexa etc

• Like 1