Chime in if you carry a SAT Phone or why not

Wanaflatsfish

Rubble's post on best VHF...BTW, I have a ICOM with a USB charger which I can charge on the skiff....GOT ME THINKING A BIT

I'm thinking of buying a SAT phone again as I want to spend alot of time deep in the back of the glades now that I have the FMT.

WHAT SAT PHONE ARE YOU ALL USING?  Pros / cons?  If not carrying one, or have a better alternative, chime in :)

I do have a Delorme and it works...but, nothing like, the famous line from the movie, "ET PHONE HOME "      :)

DC

I've wanted to buy a SAT phone for a while... However I couldn't bite the bullet on a $500-700 phone with a monthly subscription that costs more than my regular cell phone service.

I ended up with a Spot X. I can send and receive text messages. In case of emergency I have the SOS option. The reviews on this product were not favorable however I have had great success down in ENP. Texts go through within minutes. Haven't had to use the SOS option yet.... THANKFULLY! The phone is $200 and the monthly subscription is only $10 a month for 20 texts a month...

Been going deep for years .

Old school Gladesmen did not have FMT.

Should be willing to sleep on the deck of your boat .

If you breakdown away from the red and green markers , help , back home , will probably come and save you , in the morning .

I always bring everything I need to do the long haul .

Be prepared to spend the night .

Plenty of water

Whiskey

MREs

Thermacells

Bugsuit

Tarp for keeping dew off of you

Light Jacket

More whiskey

The complete Led Zeppelin collection .

FLOAT PLAN

Last but not least

Spot X

ACR Epirb .

Catch em up !

🇺🇸☠️

• Like 1

“Be prepared to spend the night”... sums it up perfectly. 

Never been a fan of sat phones from a value standpoint. With today’s satellite messengers and EPIRBs I think your covered.  Besides all you really need to tell (or text with a SAT messenger) someone is your status and location. If it goes really bad fire off an EPIRB signal. 

21 hours ago, conocean said:

It's hard to justify the cost of a Sat phone. Epirb & Spot are the perfect combo IMO. I've had a Spot device since the 1st month they were launched. 

Real Gladesman only need their faith and a bottle of Bibb & Tucker for an overnighter in the backcountry. 😜 

I’ve only been a Gladesman full-time for 4 years but I always have a piece of Austrian plastic as well.

• Like 2

Living in the keys its pretty rare for me to be far enough from other boaters that within a few hours someone will be close enough to easily see a flare. I recently broke down and got the ACR resQlink and the wife like having that peace of mind. Either I'm floating and will be found fairly shortly or I'm in the water and will set off the resQlink so I cant really justify a sat phone subscription.   Small side note is if you do decide on any ACR product make sure you buy it from a dealer that stands behind what they sell because ACR is absolutely useless for customer service. My brand new ResQlink failed the self test out of the box, after 3 days of trying to contact them via both phone and email and getting zero response I finally just exchanged it through amazon where I had bought it. BTW that was almost a month ago now and still no response from ACR so it isn't like it just took them a while to get back to me. 

On 9/5/2019 at 9:26 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

Been going deep for years .

Old school Gladesmen did not have FMT.

Should be willing to sleep on the deck of your boat .

If you breakdown away from the red and green markers , help , back home , will probably come and save you , in the morning .

I always bring everything I need to do the long haul .

Be prepared to spend the night .

Plenty of water

Whiskey

MREs

Thermacells

Bugsuit

Tarp for keeping dew off of you

Light Jacket

More whiskey

The complete Led Zeppelin collection .

FLOAT PLAN

Last but not least

Spot X

ACR Epirb .

Catch em up !

🇺🇸☠️

How are you going to play The Led??☺️

I’ve rented a Sat Phone from https://www.outfittersatellite.com/ in the past.  Easy to work with.  Ship to your door and ship right back.  Can get prepaid cards.  They have phones for purchase.  Just spoke with them a week ago and they recommended the Iridium 9555 for what I described as strictly backup/rescue communication from coastal fishing areas.  If I were on the water a lot, it would be well worth the investment in a Sat phone, IMHO.  But then again, I get on the water to get away.  Only want communications in the event that there is an absolute emergency.  

I can say I have never had Bibb and Tucker.  That’s like running a sparkle boat with carpet in the salt.  Why would a KY Gladesman (in training) drink that stuff when we live on the real stuff; KY Bourbon!  Makes no sense. 

• Haha 2