Redfisher 16 - Discontinued?

geeviam

Good question I just looked your right when I hit models only the 18 popped up . Boats and pick up trucks seem to be getting bigger every year . With all the giant bay boat I see on the water around here I wonder if the market is strong for a 16 RF ?  It’s a good go between if you don’t want a official bay boat or something you pole all day like a technical poling skiff it has been a good all around back country fishing machine .  

• Like 1

My first Hewes was a 16 and I loved it but grew to a point where I needed 3 on the boat sometimes so I've had 3 18's since.  But I've gone back to a 16' and really enjoy it.  I know they dont  poll like a Maverick or tech skiff and they wont get quite as shallow, but they are tanks (in the good sense), and compared to most other 16' skiffs dry in most cases, ride great in a chop, pole good enough for me and are super fishing boats.  At my age I also like being able to feel comfortable walking the gunnel from the aft to the bow.

• Like 1

I bought my Hewes Redfisher 16 in 2016 for several reasons.  First of all, I had always wanted a Redfisher ever since I first fished Flamingo aboard one, with Capt. Ludwig Johnson in 1976, and then with Capt. Ralph Delph and Capt. Rick Murphy in the '80s and early '90s.  Garage space was also a factor in the decision.  I can back the RF 16 into my garage that's 20' 10" deep, with a jack plate, SHO 115, trolling motor, and folding trailer tongue, and it fits!  Another reason was the price.  I looked at a Maverick HPX when I was shopping for a flats boat, and the price wasn't even in the ballpark on budget, next to the Redfisher.  I guess if you're employed in MBG Accounting, and looked at the numbers, the RF 16 couldn't make the cut, when compared to profitability of the other high-dollar boat lines made under the same roof.  It's a shame, because the RF is a great inshore fishing boat that is roomy, comfortable, stable when walking the gunnels, and built like a tank - not to mention good-looking!  But, it must be standing in the way of "progress" in the industry, just like the Maverick Master Angler line did.  So, it looks like the Redfisher 16 will become another classic - sought after by enthusiasts, in the used boat market.

I recently contacted the dealer I purchased my Pathfinder 2500 from about a Hewes 16. He said he thought they would make them on request but with what Skip said above, that does not appear to be the case. Very good chance I would have one on order if they did, but I too noticed they are not on the website when a month ago they were. Sad. I fish alone a lot and I'm too old and decrepit to pole so the 16 Redfisher seemed like a great boat for my use. I had a Maverick HPX 18 but let it go when I bought the Pathfinder, now I really want an additional boat for backcountry fishing but don't need a technical polling skiff.

1 hour ago, finbully said:

I recently contacted the dealer I purchased my Pathfinder 2500 from about a Hewes 16. He said he thought they would make them on request but with what Skip said above, that does not appear to be the case. Very good chance I would have one on order if they did, but I too noticed they are not on the website when a month ago they were. Sad. I fish alone a lot and I'm too old and decrepit to pole so the 16 Redfisher seemed like a great boat for my use. I had a Maverick HPX 18 but let it go when I bought the Pathfinder, now I really want an additional boat for backcountry fishing but don't need a technical polling skiff.

I am sure if you contact the dealer back they can locate one for you, or check around on boat trader. Sometimes you can get a dealer to do a swap so that you still buy from the local dealer, and if the 16's aren't selling that great then you should be able to get an aggressive price on an in-stock unit

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bet Skip brings the 16 back in a Kevlar version. Some might say that would conflict with the Maverick line but the increased deadrise and aggressive bow entry of the RF would make it a real winner. I love my RF 18 but at 18’ 10” it’s almost as big as a bay boat and too heavy to pole. A 16 RF in Kevlar could fill a sweet spot nicely Slyshon. Just saying. 

Oh and if there was anyway to keep it a little lower $ than the maverick that’d be good too. Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought a used 2007 Redfisher 16 a few years ago.  It's easy to solo launch, fits easily in my warehouse where it's clean, dry and ready to go all the time.   $ of us go to the sand bar more than I fish it.  It's a great boat (not perfect) that I plan town till I die :).

If Yamaha or Suzuki can come up with a lighter 90hp say under 300 pounds it would be a game changer for the boat. Maybe that's when MHP will resurrect it.

• Like 1