Troll motor install / 2017 hpx v

dotschaser

Installing wireless troll motor on my hpx.  Assume a drill and tap with 1/4" bolt works.  Don't think I can get to some of the bolts to back them up with nut / washer.  I assume there is a reinforcement plate in the mount area that can be tapped.  Let me know if headed in wrong direction.  Thanks 

I've been reluctant to chime in on this thread. I've owned 2 HPXV's (2002 and 2004 model year). I've mounted trolling motors on the bow of each boat. I've never encountered any type of backing plate on either boat. Given the various footprints of the different brands of trolling motors, I'm not sure how the factory could put the backing plates in the "right" spot. Additionally, the motors can be mounted in various positions depending on the forward hatch layout/opening clearance, casting platform style and location, potential interference with navigation lights when stowed, etc. In my case, I ended up mounting the trolling motor pucks (Minn-Kota (s) ) with the two forward mounting bolts positioned through the overhanging lip of the bow. The two aft mounting bolts were positioned deep inside the forward storage locker. I used large fender washers as backing with nylock nuts to secure the bolts. You'll need long arms, patience and help from a ship-mate to reach those two bolts inside the forward storage locker. If using the MinnKota puck, you have very little room for error in the positioning. You can easily end up trying to drill a hole right through the top of the gunnell.Good luck.

Thank you for feedback and responses.  I did end up speaking with a dealer who say's they have had good success with drill / tap install into the plates that Skip confirmed existed.  I think I will go this route.  MBG, thinking of everyone in the FL region as storm approaches, hopefully forecast changes for sure.  thks