Trolling motor opinions

TP13

I have a older model 2200v that the old motorguide tm has giving out. I like the idea of the newer gps trolling motors but have heard different things about the use of them and how necessary it is to spend the money. Depending on the type of fishing that you do, ( I do bay and marsh) what’s the consensus on type of trolling motor: gps versus non gps? Is it that useful? Full disclosure i do have a powerpole. 

Just looking for what most people do. 

^^^^^what he said^^^^^^   I will never go back to non gps TMs.   I personally dont like the self deploying ones.   The down side of the GPS versions is that if the remote is dead, so is your fishing day (They really should have a manual back up option!) and you exacerbate that with the ulterra.   But spot lock and heading lock literally will catch you more fish because you have your hands on the rod more often instead of fiddling qith the TM, and we all know that fish watch for you to get distracted before they bite.

Spot lock mandatory for me.... 3rd most important thing on my boat (hull is #1, outboard is #2)

However it depends on what type of fishing YOU do as to which is best. 

If you use a TM mainly to run banks fish, around docks etc hand control is better... much easier to adjust course and steer with the right extension handle.  When I ran one I rigged it on a foot switch and could step on it to power on and bump the extension handle with a knee or hip to control the boat even when fighting a fish. 

If you anchor up most of the time (in water to deep for PP) then the spot lock option is the way to go and worth every penny and even the aggravation at times (when they break) I hate at times having to fumble for a remote and hit multiple buttons to move the boat... if you are fighting a fish its just about impossible to stay tight with one hand off the reel handle to use  the remote but in my case most of my fishing time is spent on something I dont have to do that often.  I havent tried the foot control yet but plan too.

I put a Minn Kota I- Pilot 110 lb 36 V on my 22 PF and have thoroughly enjoyed it for the past three years. It does not self deploy but is very easy to , but the gps spot lock is a game changer. No regrets. I went with 36 volts because we have a 6 ft tide difference between low and high and the current really gets moving....not sure I needed 36v,  but it has been wonderful. 

The spot lock is a game changer from a fishing aspect. I've got a Minn Kota Terrova, which has been great on my RF18, until it broke. I was recently pretty disappointed with Minn Kota's customer service after the motor crapped out at four months old. They were willing to fix it on their dime, but I had to wait till an authorized dealer in my area had the chance to look at it, which at its shortest was 10 days out, not ideal for a fishing guide in the middle of the season. There were suggestions from them that I buy another back up motor, certainly not what I wanted to hear. I could have easily fixed the issue myself and been back on the water if they had just sent me the part. Just something to consider. 

Thanks guys. I was hoping to not have to give $2k for one.  But I had a feeling that was going to be the sentiment.  

I wont get into the whole MK VS MG debate. But glad to know it’s that important. 

A lot of people here have the MK, have seen some good reports on the MG. Will have to start researching I guess.  

Ulterra for me 100%.....

I had one for many years with a few problems....board went bad on the on/off switch and a few other items...but, in general, i love the idea of hitting it click click, goes down and i point it to a fishing point 100 yards away....i get my gear ready, have a cold one or stogie lit up and by that time, i'm fishing....same thing on heading out.....

I use only DEKA 27's, I keep them 100% charged after each trip, i use my circuit breaker when charging....

DC

Same as Dino.  I have the self deploy 36v for my Pathy.  I've often worried about mechanical issues but so far so good.  It really does change the game for boat positioning.  Not much work involved at all.  My buddies have the manual deploy.  It's fine too.  We both have the foot control.  I love it because I don't have to fiddle with a hand control that may be in my pocket, hanging from my belt or around my neck.  Ever tried to fight a fish, and position the boat in a swift current around obstructions while looking for the remote?  Just look down and tap spot lock with your foot and run around the boat all you need to.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't exchange my self deploying Ulterra for anything.  I installed it early this summer and it's definitely a game changer.   My dad (used to old-school setting anchors kind of fishing) keeps saying how I'm "cheating" with that thing ;-).

Keep in mind, though, the base is gigantic on that thing.  I had to move my deck cleat on my 2008 RF16 (mounted two new pop-up cleats on each side of the bow instead) in order to get it mounted correctly where it wouldn't get ripped off if I missed my trailer slightly when loading/unloading.

48289086936_ccde15a6df.jpg

48289190687_feca35fce6.jpg

48289191887_1d7ea7e254.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:16 PM, TP13 said:

Thanks guys. I was hoping to not have to give $2k for one.  But I had a feeling that was going to be the sentiment.  

I wont get into the whole MK VS MG debate. But glad to know it’s that important. 

A lot of people here have the MK, have seen some good reports on the MG. Will have to start researching I guess.  

MK v MG

I highly recommend you consider Rhodan before buying either of the above.

• Like 3