Possible Structural Damage

Fatherof4

Hello All.  A few months ago, I purchased a 1996 Maverick MA 18 from a forum member.  Really good guy.  Well, I had the boat in the shop to fix some gelcoat.  Was told by the fiberglass guy that the boat had "major structural damage".  Apparently, there is a 4-6ft long crack, running length wise, under the boat.  This is all his assessment was based on.  I am taking to another boat place for another opinion.  If it can be fixed, I would like to invest the money.  I do love the boat, and I have taken it out 8-10 times, and am super impressed with the ride and it "feels" rock solid.  Who knows.  In the event, that the hull is not salvageable, what newer hull from Maverick is a "replacement" for the MA?  I know they quit making them.  But, love the ride, etc.  Will not be poled.  Fish waters from 2ft deep and on. 

Thoughts?

10 hours ago, bdsnook said:

Nothing in the line up today rides like the Master Anglers....fix it....you'll be glad you did!

Even with the challenges I have had and the 2 years of waiting, this continues to be my attitude.   Buddy asked me if, in hindsight, I wish I had sold it as is 2 years ago when I discovered my issue.  I have had 2 years to think about it and always come back to the same answer.  

Nope, just cant wait to have her back.   The ONLY way I would regret choosing to fix mine is if MBG started producing them again.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, an update.  Took it to another, highly respected shop here in AL.  They found no structural damage.  It did have a lot of cracks underneath, including 2, running along each side, right where it would have "bounced" on the trailer stringers.  There were no additional rollers, stringers for the keel.  Long story short and $6000 later, they grinded out all cracks, filled and re-gelcoated the bottom.  I also have some significant chunks taken out on the keel up front.  Fixed all that, welded a broken spot on my poling platform, fixed my power pole, etc.  Should be good to go.  She looks fantastic.  I love my 96 MA 18.5.  Next, will run her for a yr, then would love to re-power.  My original 96 Johnson 175 Faststrike runs great, but, LOVES fuel.  Like 50 gal a day.  Would also like for it to get rewired.  So, on  it goes.  Glad to have her back.

• Like 4