America Trail Pathfinder trailer blinker not working.

Mad Beach Hewes

First check your truck fuses, I had that happen once and discovered it after two hours of dicking with the trailer wiring. My truck, 2005 Silverado 2500HD, has separate trailer light fuses, not sure if all trucks are like this though. 

There is a three prong plug on the back of the light housing (yes it’s stupid to have a waterproof light with an external plug) if you pull the light off you can remove the plug and check the contacts for corrosion. You’ll probably have to use pliers to get it off, if it’s corroded clean it and check you stop/turn lights.

If that doesn’t fix it get a meter and check to see if you have 12V to the tail light and brake/turn contacts on the plug (white=ground, black=tail light, red= stop/turn) just turn your lights and hazards on and you can check it all at once. If both circuits are bad the ground is probably bad as Todd stated. The three circuits are also labeled on the back of the light where the plug attaches.

If you have low or no voltage start working your way forward. The right stop/turn is the green wire, the ground is the white wire. These grounds get corroded where the clearance lights are spliced into the main ground wire that goes back to the tail light. Since you have two wires going into one butt connector they’ll corrode there first.

If your tail light is working and just the stop/turn is out I’d defiantly check the plug on the back of the light first. When I got my boat the lights were jacked and this was the problem. I cleaned the contacts really good and coated the contacts with dielectric grease. Then I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and glued the plug to the back of the light to maybe keep the plug from working loose. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, linesider 159 said:

Touch power to the plug and see if it lights up, that will eliminate the truck side. 

Then just crawl under the trailer and look for obvious signs of damage to wiring. My ameratrail had the same side issue and it was a wire rubbing on the threads of a bolt

Thanks linesider. I sent you a PM regarding the FMT.

• 4 weeks later...