Pathfinder 2200 TRS Modification

BillAV8R1

I'm looking for suggestions on removing a cupholder and either returning it back to its original condition (so that it can then be drilled out to accept the receiver/arms) or somehow modifying it to accept the receiver/arm for the bow backrest on the current model of the 2200 TRS - or any backrest that I can secure there.    

First pics are from my 2200 with the current cupholders (not put there by me).

Second pic is from a 2200 Pathfinder with the backrest.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Bill

2016 2200 TRS Bow.jpg

2016 2200 TRS Bow Seating.jpg

Pathfinder Backrest.jpg

5 hours ago, BillAV8R1 said:

Thanks for that. I think the below pic is what you’re talking about. My question would be do the arms for the backrest fit into that cup holder/rod holder - and would they turn and secure like the regular receivers should do?

472B8982-F873-46CB-9CCD-D8AC38DF5F73.jpeg

If the rod holder has a gimbal pin (the pic shows no indication of one) and the backrest mount has a gimbal butt then the answer is most likely yes. Of course you need to make sure the ID of the holder matches with the OD of the backrest mount. These are questions to ask the manufactures of both.

I have the combos and I do not think they have pins in them. 

How about mounting the holder you have pictured into the bottom of the cup holder?  You would probably have to extend the  arm on the back rest but that’s easy. 

I doubt it would ever be issue for you, but if you put a cushion on the box it will be very close to the top of the gunnel. I think the coast guard has regulations about being that close to the top of the gunnel. I believe this is why you see rails on the boats that come with factory lounge configurations. I seem to remember 4 inch depth required anything less has to have a rail. 

I wanted to add those backrests to my ‘08 2200TE and had it figured out on how to add them. I had a neighbor who added them, so I took a ride. He did not have the hand rails in pic 2 above and it was frightening! With a cushion, sitting level with the top of the gunnel, and nothing to hold on to, I knew my SO would never sit there underway. I thought about sea suckers.

Adding those rails is not easy. My local dealer told me that I would have had to cut access holes in the gunnel to secure a backing plate and through bolt w/ nut. Apparently, hand rails were available as an option, but they were installed at the factory before the cap was attached for my vintage hull. I don’t know anything about your configuration.

I gave up!

I hope you post a solution I could follow

I think this will be tough. I would send skip at maverick an email and ask for suggestions. I think I posted in your other thread that I asked and he said it would be tough to replicate the factory ones. I would also go to a local dealer that has one on the lot and check out how they are attached and take measurements to see if the combo rod, cup holder would work. If that all fails, I would take a look at how you could make the birdsall marine ones work, although may be tough with the speaker there. I also agree that rails are a must, with the cushion you will sit essentially even with the top and if there is anything but a smooth ride it could be nerve racking for the rider. I do think you may be able to get enough access from inside the rod lockers to do through bolts but you may have to do some cutting in there to get access to the underside of the topside. I got lucky and saw the layout on the 2600 when I ordered and the rails made and installed at the factory with backing plates while under construction and then added the birdsall setup myself...this on my 2016 2200 trs before they offered the option...I would like to think they got the idea from me but it seems like a pretty basic idea and one that should have been offered long ago across all the trs series. Note that it still isn’t offered on the 2400 trs.

8 hours ago, BillAV8R1 said:

Thanks for that. I think the below pic is what you’re talking about. My question would be do the arms for the backrest fit into that cup holder/rod holder - and would they turn and secure like the regular receivers should do?

472B8982-F873-46CB-9CCD-D8AC38DF5F73.jpeg

Looking at this pic 1 and 2 it looks like the top radius edge of this new cup holder is gong to extend past the cap or your current hole is to large for this to be screwed in.

Make sure you get a spec sheet  and measure twice.