OT - house renovations

justfish

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't added much lately cause all the stuff seems too small to worry about posting. Yet it seems to take all day...

Anyways last project before I trim everything out so I thought I'd share yesterday's project. Shoulda been EZPZ, but.... Always seems to be a butt...this portion of wall ran out of square about 1 1/2" in the 4' I was installing this coat/flip flop rack. Very obvious when the bench is parallel to grout lines. I knew it, forgot it, and remembered after I had precut everything so....

4541322E-6AB0-4AA9-B227-20A22692E5AE_zpswfvp86lr.jpg

4F45EEBD-38F6-4303-92DE-370459BEB25F_zps2ct9ieo6.jpg

AD495AD1-922F-42C5-B53D-7005874A632F_zps46y7dxxz.jpg

Here it is at 10pm last night. Prob needs one more coat of paint and wifey will make cusion top tomorrow. Eventually, I'll edge band the plywood on it and the other bench I made. You can see the shim on seat top in back, but will be covered with cushion top so not a big deal thank goodness.

C16CC54A-6996-4D53-B3FD-51449EE2D938_zps6rkcsrei.jpg

Doggy bar for the win!

Threw it together outta some scraps. Wifey loved it so took it and ran... notice the new bowls? Yeah, those are getting holes so then it's too short so needs longer legs....I have no one to blame for that one but myself.

Then, yes the trim. That bed making stuff is woman's work.

Whoops forgot I did finish island top. I had originally planned on epoxy but set a coffee pot on a "trivet" that was expoxy poured and it melted it. Figured that I'd be better off not using it near stove which was fine with me since I like the more natural look better. So, had to get it smoother than I originally had it - used some littler filler here and there and belt sanded w/ 80 then random orbital 80, 120,220 and 3 coats of butcher block oil. Came out great.

05C087D7-4D06-468B-9F8F-E09C6455A3DE_zpskfu8iei0.jpg

come on !, I make the bed all the time for my gal. give it up. LOL. the work your doing is outstanding. fin

what, no ss six burner gas stove for the wifey, how cruel.

not to nick pick, as a retired realtor, when taking pictures you need to tidy up like fluffing up the pillows on the couch. am I busting your ba--s yet? :) :)fin

Really nice stuff. Always make the bed that way you at least got one thing accomplished today (old frogman quote). Also make the bed first thing when reporting for duty when I used to work at the FD, especially during hurricane ***ignments. That way its yours! Seriously, you have mad carpenter skills, awesome! I can never show my wife these pics as you set the bar too high, lol.

Really nice stuff. Always make the bed that way you at least got one thing accomplished today (old frogman quote). Also make the bed first thing when reporting for duty when I used to work at the FD, especially during hurricane ***ignments. That way its yours! Seriously, you have mad carpenter skills, awesome! I can never show my wife these pics as you set the bar too high, lol.

Not sure about mad carpentry skills, but I'll take the compliment!

Nice work! Looks like a mini split in that bedroom. How do you like it and what make did you go with? Thinking of one for my fish camp trailer instead of my package unit.

The mini split was installed when we bought house. It's in our master and which is actually an enclosed garage. I had option of removing it when I had whiole ceiling out, and running ducts to it, but I chose not to. We don't have kids so 99% of time we don't have to run AC/heater for whole house at night. Then at night we crank the little split unit down to 68* and freeze ourselves out in the master. It get cold in the room QUICK.

In conjunction with the spray foam insulation, this system has gotten us very low power bills (Avg $75/month) and I've never slept better!

Its 110v and SUPER quiet, and probably my only complaint about it. I was hoping for a little more white noise outta the thing....so overall, I love it

I got the trim done in common areas. Everything seems to be taking FORVER now. Consistent with everything as of late I ran into some unique issues. The wall on hall entryway door had a bow in the plaster in middle of it. With the tapered trim it wasn't evident, with the square "craftsman" trim I'm doing, that doesn't work. So what would normally take me 5 mins to trim a door turns into 2 hour project to get it squared up. Had to cut the plaster and beat out middle so I could get the trim to match up with door jamb. }:( They sure built em well back in the day, just not so strait. You can see the "waves" in left side too. Putty n paint coming up...

B4CF364A-64A9-4E14-99DE-AAAD9DC49937_zpscdjbxjjj.jpg

522A6202-F554-44D6-B5BD-183CE5ECA105_zpsj8ygfbao.jpg

Here's it done. Still need to caulk and fill some gaps and nail holes, but should turn out pretty nice. The door is coming out and that jamb will get sanded and painted when I put last coat on trim. It's nice to have right now as far as closing part of house off and keeping dust down and stuff

028309D2-A926-4714-989B-844448081604_zpscd8vufc1.jpg

Here's a shot looking back at the coat/flip flop rack I built. I had to deal with same issue with front door, but it's drywall so was a little easier

57A96504-63A3-42C4-97D3-F394C4389B16_zpsuxguxp3r.jpg

Made the bed for you ladies too

83DD962A-9DC4-45CC-82F3-C8E5A23CD672_zpszpjgosg2.jpg

Oh and dog bar got upgraded. Waiting to paint to see where it will reside. Looks like It's gonna be grey.

1C392A75-41F4-4AAA-8543-238EC9A1D8CA_zpsnss3inf7.jpg

Action shot

469A837C-FAF8-42CF-84C4-D69130C2EFA1_zpstz3mukov.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't added anything lately as its still mostly punch list stuff. We got to take a lil vacation and I've been sick so same story - feels like I'm busy, doesn't feel like much is done.

Pool is done. Now battling City about fence issues for final safety inspection. Had pool plumbed for waterfall but hadn't decided what we wanted yet although we knew we wanted something similar...Was able to use left over pavers to build a waterfall. Pool guy had the sheer feature leftover so far all I have in it is about $5 in mortar and some time. This weeks project is the top. I am trying my hand at pouring a concrete slab with coquina mixed in since it's very common in my area. I think it will be real cool. Depending on where I get the coquina from I shouldn't have more than $25-50 in whole thing!

The top pavers are just weight and will come off when top is done

EB1680E1-5E5F-4502-AD95-BCBF5C2B65EC_zpsffvnt1x9.jpg

Here's pool color done. Not sure where it's coming from but deep part has a cool torquis color that I really like.

F04AAAC2-E8E6-4BB1-8985-2B8306FB1372_zpsfcoryfyo.jpg

Also added some under cabinet lighting in kitchen

It has about a dozen different colors and different modes. My wife likes flashy things....

D9775C62-E0BF-4002-A4F6-19D1BAFA86AF_zpsyb3ifjmr.jpg

And dogs bowl got painted

C9FB7710-37E7-45D8-A30B-4E033EDE12F7_zpsz17naqoz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Todd. You saw it as "before" as could be, it's definitely come a LONG way. Thanks for your help figuring this place out.

I wanted to show some pics of the finished top I made for fountain and pool all finished up. Honestly, most of all the rest inside is trim and eventually a bath. This thread kinda lost momentum once all the big stuff got done, so prob won't post much else. I submitted plans for garage and will start that in prob 3 weeks. Me and a friend will be doing most of that as well, so if there's any interest in a garage thread, let me know...

"Recycled" Water feature all finished up. Wanted to top to look like the coquina so popular in downtown St Aug, and I think it turned out pretty nice. Left over Portland cement, pavers and sheer from the pool guy. Coquina from my yard from the pool dig. Left over rebar from counters. I have prob $10 in PVC fittings and 2x4 for form wrapped up in this whole thing.

D4FD3561-8EC1-4AA2-B3DA-1FE919B3BB54_zpspeci9epz.jpg

Here's the pool all finished up. The water has a "turquoise" color that is hard to capture on camera, but is absolutely beautiful.

364D6A08-4447-4D6A-BACE-0998AD7F00E9_zpsexde1d9h.jpg

Here's the drawings of "phase 2" - a 20x30' garage w pool bath. Again if anyone's interested in seeing this go up, I'll try and do a thread. I'd love some input if possible.

39DEE950-DE1F-4BF1-AC2C-3BFF909740D2_zpsxtpc7yqk.jpg

Archived