OT - house renovations

justfish

Thank you. Funny story about the kitchen ceiling - my buddy and I hung all of new drywall ceiling throughout house and just ran out of time that day to do kitchen. He was going to come back next day and hang those 4 boards by himself cause finisher was scheduled next morning. I woke up in middle of night with my wheels turning (almost every night lately!) and just saw it in my head. Called him first thing next morning and told him to hold off and that his day just got a lot easier. If we had done it that day, it prob never would have crossed my mind.

Overall, I think we have prob 40hrs or so in hanging, finishing etc that alone. They are full length so it took 2 people and a lot of them took 3 cause of warping not allowing the T&G to line up. Alot of the time was cause I had to rip down all the verticals and plane in new v grooves so the seams would match up. Buddy fabricated the "beam" to finish it all off...A couple times I questioned doing all that since the drywall was sitting in the house and finisher only knocked $50 off for not having to do it. But it is the heart of the house and came out better than I ever thought...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent post. I love building stuff. Build my home in 2000. The only things I subbed out was the tile and A/C. Building my own home was one of the best things I ever did. Got exactly what I wanted and my mortgage is about 1/3 of what it would have been had I used a contractor. You're doing an excellent job.Keep the updates coming.

• 2 weeks later...

So even tho I feel like I've been non stop busy, I don't have a lot of updates. A lot of unpacking cleaning up and punch list stuff I guess. I did get some work done on kitchen. I'm trying my hand at poured concrete for main kitchen. The concrete tops took 7 80lb bags so if anyone wants to help move it in, just let me know! I stained a dark grey and just hoping I can get em in house and they don't look like a sidewalk...

I also tiled the island with stainless subway tiles (pain in @ss to cut) and made the island top out of the ceiling joists we pulled out. I've since been told this is called "upcycling". I planed em down and edge joined em and it came out pretty good. Still need a good sanding and decide on a finish. Thinking a poured epoxy for durability, but don't really like the ultra shiny finish. Any advice from any woodworkers is welcomed...

Here's the concrete formed up-

A383B39E-2DC3-47C8-97D9-D1D263799ADA_zpshxj3nzsb.jpg

What I started with for top -

2E68C029-4DA1-4FAB-9F0A-B0540958DFAF_zpsjzrw5gu4.jpg

After a ton of nail pulling and some p*** though planer -

90613426-960F-4E0C-80D2-2F046433A941_zpsvhqw9kp7.jpg

2B2E7EF1-46C9-4BCB-8E45-B15E21B20506_zpstylscqoh.jpg

C56F4537-85D6-4963-896C-987625BBFEF6_zps3jv1mhq4.jpg

just look at it this way, that's where the big dogs stay. lol. need to take a break and get out on the boat. you deserve it. great looking job.

Ironically I cleaned up the neglected boat to take out today on what was a BEAUTIFUL December day and no sooner than I was done storms rolled in...

And thanks Fin

Is that an Apron sink next to the dishwasher? Also, how do you do a back-splash with a concrete countertop? Sorry, I'm just full of questions.

Yup apron sink it's still wrapped up to protect it til counters get in.

I'm doing a full tile backsplash so will just but the two at the counter/wall joint. I'm hoping to get the tops in Thursday and will do the backsplash soon after. Maybe can have pics this weekend. Man I hope!

No problems at all about questions, I started this to talk about what I'm doing

Headhunter and Todd, both of you guys are welcome to come over especially during the counter install! Ha

Counters got backed up a little waiting for the sealer so should have em sealed Monday and possibly installed Tuesday. Meanwhile I did some built in shelving and storage seat with wainscoting for our dining area. Still waiting to do the shelves until wifey gets the baskets she wants so I can space them correctly. I will then face frame the whole shelving unit. And repaint corner where I ran the peeling to edge of wall and didn't like it.

The mirror is crooked, not my wainscoting!

D8C3E370-A042-4B9A-9273-B9BDA8ED8EBE_zps2ddlagpo.jpg

Hard to believe these two pics were taken from same spot about two months apart :

7B4C6BC1-148E-4AA8-A3D9-D3B2DBF2FBE3_zpsambhlgpj.png

F915CD41-4467-4FCF-9E59-76362DC06E72_zpsnxzzyz2r.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry didn't see your question. Most of the work is inside fortunately. The outside was recently painted so that's a plus. The landscaping will be a spring one thing and prob a big undertaking due to amount of damage we've done in this process. Pool is going to talk up a lot of back yard so hopefully most will be upfront.

Here's some updates. Pools coming along. "Dining area" and built ins are done - mirror still crooked! Counters are in and turned out pretty nice. I just did backsplash and still need to grout em...

EBB0C716-9632-4397-BA26-D51D096417AC_zps2mfnyxbf.jpg

85611A23-296D-4292-B69A-3D7FE416D2C5_zpsbip61upl.jpg

C9A3528D-190D-4985-9179-636259764E00_zpsowyjm3u3.jpg

324B5277-0D45-4ABE-BCF8-126A5CE2B9E2_zpsnbvynwzt.jpg

Nicely done Justfish.

You do realize that now your wife knows what your capable of your "Honey Do" list will never end.

Might as well plant some mangroves around that hole in the back yard, park the boat next to it and stock it with reds, trout and snook.

Of course you'll have to go with the saltwater setup. ;)

The big part of counter turned out real nice. The smaller section over the dishwasher didn't turn out as well. Even tho they were poured the same time and outta the same batch, I think the rocks just didn't have the same amount of room to sink so they showed a little and I wasn't able to hone as much so they are rougher. Not bad, but def not as nice at the big one. At least it's the big one that turned out nice. I might pull the little one out and re grind or maybe even repour it one day, but honesty it's not bad.

I sealed em with a epoxy/polyurethane hybrid made just for concrete counters. It was real easy to work with and seems to be doing a great job so far. Water beads right up and flour wipes right off em....It also fills in a little of the imperfections for a little smoother surface. It was kinda pricey at about $75, but was prob the majority of the expense of the whole project. Considering the $5,000 quote for granite, I'm ok with it...

A lot of little stuff not worth of pics lately, but I found some cool before, during and after I took from same spot of figure I'd post. Really just a few small things left in kitchen the biggest being I can pull the island counter out for sanding and finishing now that we have the other counters to work off of.

4CC520CB-6F3C-486F-9068-7C09700916BC_zpsaj9swx20.jpg

21D26018-C7D2-492E-9024-5EB5F6F1C683_zpsubdqo8f5.jpg

3B68B361-7CC3-4D8F-B318-05B088E5862A.png_zpstg1r8fer.jpeg

0009B9EB-154A-4C4F-AB62-F6E4AF17D944_zpsinssnkup.jpg

7260B24F-B2E5-4064-9BD7-AEC5088C315C_zpstrvf6jcd.jpg

894D0703-6B15-4885-B303-0042C670AC97_zps9tuheeux.jpg

Archived