Porpoising problems w/f250 on 2200 TRS?

NNFD197

I heard through the grapevine that the F250 on the back of a 2200 causes porpoising because of its weight. Im not sure if thats true or if its true to a specific year hull, but I'm looking at a 2013 2200 TRS for sale and it has this motor on the back. Any truth to this? Anyone out there running this set up? Thanks

As mentioned, a good prop will solve that. Depending on what you're content with, a Merc. Bravo FS will produce adequate top end (over 7 mph faster than an OFX/4 on my hull) and yield great GPH numbers, too (4.4 mpg at 3,600 RPM/38 mph). For me, I prefer the handling over what the PT produced, not that it was bad, it just too tight for my liking. Good luck!

• Like 1

I have a 2200TRS. I have a 200 SHO. When I bought my boat I was pretty disappointed IN the ride on plane . My boat ran like a pig and would get in a porpoising rhythm that I could only wish to match at other given times.  The spray when on plane was up by the console. 

Being a mercury guy from way back I had some nice props here. I threw on a tempest plus and the boat rode so high in the water it was hard to believe. I also ran a mercury enertia, also a 3 blade prop, with very much the same result. Lastly after reading some other post on speed , lift and  initial thrust others were seeing with the Bravo 1 FS ( four stroke) I decided to try a cup of that kool-Aid. Honestly it ran as fast as the three blade tempest plus but was more repeatable in other words to match the top speed with the 3 blade tempest the trim and jack plate had to be fiddled with. The bravo one just seemed to hit the wot speed every time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dcathey said:

Anyone offer demos on the bravo fs? I have a pt 4 blade and still get a little porpoising and would love to tinker 

I have a 23, which unless you have at least a 250, it probably too much pitch for you. I know Prop Gods didn't demo the "Racing" line from Merc. when I asked a couple of years ago. Keep in mind that the PowerTech wheel and the Bravo wheel would be about like an old small block Chevy and a BMW, respectively, when it comes to maintenance. The PT is just going to run and run and run without much maintenance. The Merc. wheel has thinner and sharper blades and while strong, it's just not as robust as the PT counter part. With that being said, I had 35 hours on my 22p and it was just as fast as the day I got it, when I got rid of it (I went to a 23 and a worked 24, both FS). I'm hard on props and have always sent them in for a tune up in the spring, no matter the make. I like Steve's Custom Props, in Texas.

With that being said, someone needs to find JEM's post about his experience with a Bravo FS in 20p on his 22 TE with a 225 SHO. It's too bad he doesn't participate in this forum anymore.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:13 PM, HoneyB said:

I have a 2200TRS. I have a 200 SHO. When I bought my boat I was pretty disappointed IN the ride on plane . My boat ran like a pig and would get in a porpoising rhythm that I could only wish to match at other given times.  The spray when on plane was up by the console. 

Being a mercury guy from way back I had some nice props here. I threw on a tempest plus and the boat rode so high in the water it was hard to believe. I also ran a mercury enertia, also a 3 blade prop, with very much the same result. Lastly after reading some other post on speed , lift and  initial thrust others were seeing with the Bravo 1 FS ( four stroke) I decided to try a cup of that kool-Aid. Honestly it ran as fast as the three blade tempest plus but was more repeatable in other words to match the top speed with the 3 blade tempest the trim and jack plate had to be fiddled with. The bravo one just seemed to hit the wot speed every time. 

What pitch on the mentioned props?

1 hour ago, NNFD197 said:

They don’t offer the 22ft TRS with an f250, just the VF250. I wonder if it’s because of the weight?  

Which F250, the 3.3 liter or the 4.2? If it’s the 4.2, it’s the same basic engine from the VF200, 225, 250, F250 and F300. I can’t imagine much weight difference there between them. 

I may have made a bad analogy, dcathy. I’m hard props, but not on purpose. I just like to fish shallow. I would think a 20 pitch on that tower rig....what prop are you running now? I run a 23 HPS/250 SHO with no t-top or additional drag, so I’m not much help for you 22v guys. I will say HoneyB can give me a run for my money if I’m not careful. 

8 hours ago, NCTribute said:

What pitch on the mentioned props?

The props used on the 200SHO discussed in my post Went as follows .

Enertia 19pitch 

tempest plus 21 pitch

I did not list pitch sizes on props because I did not want to confuse horse power and pitch with prop design.

Full disclosure  I found props that made my boat run higher in the water and porpose less when it was 200 HP. Later I had the engine flashed to gain horses. At that time  I bought a 22 enertia which runs as good as the 19 I had before  and the 22 pitch Bravo1FS. The 21 pitch tempest plus Is also closer to the right fit with the higher horse power.

i have a friend with a 23 key west bay and 250SHO. The previous owner had a 21 tempest plus on the boat when he bought it. It runs very well. 

My 22TRS has more of an issue than my 22TE did. A little weight up front helps greatly. The TE had the fresh water wash down and I always kept it full. The OFX4 help solve the TE issue day one once installed. On the TRS I try to move weight forward like putting cast nets in the anchor locker or loading front cooler. Works for me.  

3 minutes ago, Dobey1 said:

My 22TRS has more of an issue than my 22TE did. A little weight up front helps greatly. The TE had the fresh water wash down and I always kept it full. The OFX4 help solve the TE issue day one once installed. On the TRS I try to move weight forward like putting cast nets in the anchor locker or loading front cooler. Works for me.  

Full tank of gas also helps

1 hour ago, Dobey1 said:

What year is your hull, and do you have a f250 on the back? Thanks for the info