Bait Well Question

Bruce J

I'm still new to the bait well game, so bear with me on this one. I put in the taller standpipe in the back center well of my new 2400TRS for the first time and was running around - aimlessly as usual. A short time later I looked back and saw water coming out of the back of the hatch. I opened the hatch and it was filled or overfilled to the brim of the well.

The standpipe is tall, but stops a few inches short of the top of the well. So I wouldn't have expected it to overfill. It must be coming in faster while running than it can drain out through the pipe. I guess I ***umed there was some type of additional upper level overflow drain, just in case, but guess that is not true.

The question is whether it's "normal" to have your bait well so completely full that it even overflows a bit when running - nothing to worry about, etc.? Or do I really need to just cut down that standpipe several more inches? I think the drain itself is fine because it empties quickly when I remove the standpipe.

Over to you, thanks.

Not sure on the normal for your boat. However I have heard of other boats that have had this issue.

2 things I can think of you can do. Close the inlet valve a bit, but not enough to starve the pump when not moving.

Drill holes in the bottom of the stand pipe to help water move out faster, also helps to get rid of old water that can get stuck on the bottom.

I wouldn't shorten the stand pipe. I don't think that will solve it, seems like it will still over flow. Also if you shorten it there will be less water in the well when not running.

I drilled some holes in my standpipe. Helps avoid the problem you have, but also helps circulate water better letting water from the bottom get out keeping the water fresher throughout the well. Mine is the old style with just the fill spout up top. I think the newer ones have a little better design with two fill points to help move water around.

You may also just make sure the drain line is not obstructed somehow. I'll get a bait stuck in there sometimes.

I have the same problem with the center live well on my 2600 when I'm not running. (It drains fine while running.) The reason it happens on my boat while sitting or idling is the thru hull drain (top of the pipe) is about the same elevation as the drain pipe from the live well therefore, it drains slow. I have thought about shortening the length of the thru hull pipe an inch or so which would increase the elevation from the well drain but I haven't done it.

Closing the intake valve to the pump a little is the only solution I have found to prevent overflow.

The reason the well overflows on plane is because the sea chest and "cheese grater" pressurize the system. Between the added pressure and the pumps running, the system overflows. I see this as a good thing, because when the well is full there is less sloshing and trauma on the bait. Mine has always overflowed into the transom well when running, never been an issue.

If you look inside the top of the pipe, there is a small kind of plug in there with a little hole in it you can pull out. That will fix your problem. I'm not sure why it's in there, but it doesn't allow it to drain properly. You'll have to take off the little cage looking top of the pipe to get to it. Then replace the cover when you're done.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my 2300. I have to close the seacocks when not in use. When I use the bait well I have to pinch back on the seacock about 1/4 turn but if I want to use the raw water washdown I have to open it up fully. I really wish the high speed pickup wasn't there. I'm looking at installing a valve near the fill nozzle.

It overflows even with the stand pipe pulled out of you go fast enough for a long enough time.

If you look inside the top of the pipe, there is a small kind of plug in there with a little hole in it you can pull out. That will fix your problem. I'm not sure why it's in there, but it doesn't allow it to drain properly. You'll have to take off the little cage looking top of the pipe to get to it. Then replace the cover when you're done.

This post is directed to Laid Back. Did you try this?????

I have the same problem with my 2300. I have to close the seacocks when not in use. When I use the bait well I have to pinch back on the seacock about 1/4 turn but if I want to use the raw water washdown I have to open it up fully. I really wish the high speed pickup wasn't there. I'm looking at installing a valve near the fill nozzle.

It overflows even with the stand pipe pulled out of you go fast enough for a long enough time.

I think there has to be some blockage in the drain if it will overflow without the stand pipe.

I think there has to be some blockage in the drain if it will overflow without the stand pipe.

Yes, you are correct, I didn't consider the part that it overflowed with the stand-pipe removed. If that was my boat, I'd be yanking every part of the live-well drain off until I found the problem.

Archived