Sign in to follow this  
BradM

Mounting Options / VHF Antenna

My boat came rigged from the factory with a Garmin VHF, which other than verifying it turns on, has never been used. I asked that the dealer not install the antenna because I don't usually need/use a VHF, as I always fish inshore. I do need one for tournaments per most rules, for which I carry a hand held unit. I hate knowing I have a perfectly fine unit mounted in the dash (big 'ol hole too) that I do not use. I DO NOT LIKE the idea of a standard antenna mount that lays it down at 45* when not in use, then has to be deployed/raised every time the boat is in use. I fish inshore close to 100% of the time (near shore maybe once every 3-4 years) and strictly with artificial lures, so I cast a lot. We also fly fish, now through spring, so an antenna being up all the time is in the way. Aside from that, to me, they're approaching the side of being plain ol' ugly. 

So does anyone have what would be a temp. mount or an option that doesn't require more holes? I thought about keeping the antenna in the forward rod locker with my all around light, and having a King Starboard clamp mount made for the grab rail. I'd keep the antenna cable coiled up under the console until I needed the VHF, then mount the antenna for use (to have a rail bridge opened or.....) and then put it away. I guess I could just continue to use my hand held and not worry about it. I just wish the real estate on the dash wasn't wasted with something that I'll more than likely never use.

My rig is a 2018, 23 HPS, if it matters.

If no T top I would look into a Shakespeare.  They have a model with a a small base that has a removable metal  antenna.  You can leave the antenna  off and only put on as needed. Some people  mount it on the side of console even with the  top of console to eliminate anything sticking up. 

Works good for inshore  nearshore but not great 30 miles out.

I will agree the shakespeare metal whip is a great little antenna. I personally like the 4’ little giant fiberglass also made by Shakespeare. If you have a rail on the console is low enough there is a sweet rail mount that you use a Allen wrench on rather than having the big handle on it. 

Keep in mind the metal whip will move or bounce around where the 4 foot fiberglass will not. 

My choice would be mount the 4 foot fiberglass on the console low enough it’s not in your way storing or covering the boat. Not sure what your storage situation is. 

I meant to mention that the dealer gave me a 4’ fiberglass Shakespeare, with the multi-position clamp thing, and all the necessary hardware. 

No t-top....that falls in line with the antenna situation and would be in the way. It also makes your boat slow, right HoneyB? 😂

I’ll check out the whip style and report back. HB, are you saying mount the glass one lower than the highest possible point? I’m familiar with the “line of sight” the antenna requires to be most effective, but as mentioned, I’m never offshore (not that I won’t be someday). In fact, this boat has never been near the inlet, let alone through it. Storage situation = under a cover and in a pole barn.

**edit/update**

Shakespeare now makes a “quick connect” system which will allow me to place the mount on the upper portion of the console, and keep it capped off while not in use. I’ll need an antenna specific to the mount, which is fine with me, I wanted a black antenna anyhow. Now to get one on order and see if it can be disassembled for powder coat and the white cable swapped out for black.  

Has anyone here ran a VHF, FM/AM signal splitter? I usually Bluetooth music, but while I’m at it... 

This is one has been used by alot of folks on here... myself included.  Probably the most unobtrusive antenna on the market and a darn good one at that

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=222-VW&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=222-vw&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wB8YRH0e-200kXdCXqj_Z6Hp5xflIPXbPj9jytC_X_q1Mlb0-gV-5caAmr3EALw_wcB

20 hours ago, BradM said:

I meant to mention that the dealer gave me a 4’ fiberglass Shakespeare, with the multi-position clamp thing, and all the necessary hardware. 

No t-top....that falls in line with the antenna situation and would be in the way. It also makes your boat slow, right HoneyB? 😂

I’ll check out the whip style and report back. HB, are you saying mount the glass one lower than the highest possible point? I’m familiar with the “line of sight” the antenna requires to be most effective, but as mentioned, I’m never offshore (not that I won’t be someday). In fact, this boat has never been near the inlet, let alone through it. Storage situation = under a cover and in a pole barn.

**edit/update**

Shakespeare now makes a “quick connect” system which will allow me to place the mount on the upper portion of the console, and keep it capped off while not in use. I’ll need an antenna specific to the mount, which is fine with me, I wanted a black antenna anyhow. Now to get one on order and see if it can be disassembled for powder coat and the white cable swapped out for black.  

Has anyone here ran a VHF, FM/AM signal splitter? I usually Bluetooth music, but while I’m at it... 

Quick connect what will they think of next LOL... you do not want that thing sticking up disrupting air flow FO SHO!!!