Sign in to follow this  
knotthereelworld

Minn Kota Ipilot won't connect to remote

7 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

I’m surprised that Bass Pro didn’t just take it back and give you another one. They have big $$$$$ buying power and MK won’t argue with them. 

My local MK dealer here in Savannah told me to never charge the batteries with the motor plugged in. So, I never have. My 110 lb 36 v MK I Pilot is going on 4 years old and never had an issue and the spot lock works great. It’s used at least 5 times per month.  Mine is the first generation and is not the Terrova or Ulterra or whatever the fancy ones are called.

Thanks, I've read from numerous folks that said not do charge with it plugged in and others that have said it doesn't matter. What I find interesting is I specifically asked the MK reps if this was something I could have done to harm the motor. I figured a common response would be, well "Did you charge the batteries with it plugged in???" Out of four MK reps and one manager, not a single mention of that potentially causing harm, which tells me it isn't that big or common of a problem. 

Or maybe they don't  want to talk about it. From my limited knowledge the problem comes from spikes in the voltage during charging as many new chargers have various programs built in. I have had more than one board fry over the years and it was when they were  left plugged in. Related  or not  I would  rather be  safe.

Screenshot_20190815-083743_Chrome.thumb.jpg.52fa92bae79ab52633612ab28b356580.jpgI am not sure if the new boards are any different but there are plenty of sites to buy them. I would raise enough heck until they sent a free board. No reason it couldn't be  there the next day. There are many forums such a THT to also research and talk about your problems.  Over the years I have never seen the head go bad, it is always the one in the base.

I have bought boards from  northlandmarine.com and they have always been  helpful and can probably give you some advice. 

4 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Screenshot_20190815-083743_Chrome.thumb.jpg.52fa92bae79ab52633612ab28b356580.jpgI am not sure if the new boards are any different but there are plenty of sites to buy them. I would raise enough heck until they sent a free board. No reason it couldn't be  there the next day. There are many forums such a THT to also research and talk about your problems.  Over the years I have never seen the head go bad, it is always the one in the base.

I have bought boards from  northlandmarine.com and they have always been  helpful and can probably give you some advice. 

Thanks Smilemaker, I got off the phone earlier with Andrew at Northland Marine. He explained a bunch of things to me and said that keeping it plugged in could result in frying the motor. Super nice guy and very helpful. However, Motortech in Suffolk, VA called me back and said that it most likely isn't a fried motherboard, something has gone wrong with the head. They are ordering a new head and motherboard to be safe and are going to get me fixed Monday or Tuesday. Going to cost me an extra $30 to get it mailed by then. I'm going to ask MK to pay for that $30, but I highly doubt I'll ever see that money. Motortech guy seems to know his stuff and I have confidence in him to repair it. This certainly has been quite the saga, hopefully I'll only miss out on three trips because of it and have the boat back and operational by Tuesday. 

On 8/12/2019 at 11:02 AM, knotthereelworld said:

Has anyone else had this issue?

Yep. They replaced head, shaft, lower unit and boards. 3 times on one and once on another. Sold it after that while it was under warranty. Someone told me to keep my old ipilot as a spare and I did so wasn't stuck but very frustrating. 

Problem solved 👇🏼and though I haven't needed it, "power pole like" customer service.

IMG_8689.jpeg

28 minutes ago, triplec said:

Yep. They replaced head, shaft, lower unit and boards. 3 times on one and once on another. Sold it after that while it was under warranty. Someone told me to keep my old ipilot as a spare and I did so wasn't stuck but very frustrating. 

Problem solved 👇🏼and though I haven't needed it, "power pole like" customer service.

IMG_8689.jpeg

Good to know, thank you!

• Like 1

Went to see Motortech in Suffolk, VA as they got a motherboard and new head in yesterday afternoon. John handled the warranty claim and had my motor fixed in literally three minutes. Five star service by him, he's a super nice guy. The issue was water getting into the head and frying it, which is rare he said. The new one powered right up and connected to my old remote. We tested it for steering and power and she works again. Back to guiding the next three days, finally.